
NEWS
HEALTH
Duterte wants gov’t to gov’t
COVID-19 vaccine deal with China
by Francesca Adrienne Kapunan
Posted on December 11, 2020
President Rodrigo Duterte expressed his preference for a government-to-government deal between the Philippines and China for COVID-19 vaccines to avoid corruption.
Duterte advised Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Francisco Duque III to prioritize a government to government procurement for a COVID-19 vaccine in a recorded message aired last October 27. The president showed disapproval in buying vaccines from Chinese businessmen, saying that doing so will likely result in anomalies.
.jpg)
Photo by AFP/Yaksin Akgul
“I hate ‘yang ano — ayaw ko ‘yung private persons, magbili tayo sa private Chinese businessmen. Diyan magkakaloko-lokohan eh,” Duterte said.
According to Duterte, China’s Ambassador to the Philippines Huang Xilian has assured him of a vaccine but its transaction and distribution remain a challenge.
“He said that the vaccine is there. It will be in a matter of — ano na lang paano i-distribute, and of course what kind of transaction would it be for them and for us. I said for government ang sa Pilipinas kasi it will do away with corruption again and you know mga hingi-hingi diyan sa pera,” Duterte stated.
Ambassador of the Philippines to China Chito Sta. Romana also informed Malacañang of vaccine developments in China. In a press briefing with Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque last October 22, Sta. Romana says that China already has at least three to four vaccines in the third phase of clinical trials.
“So, the prospects are bright in terms of a breakthrough in vaccines. As far as I know, in China there’s a possibility for one or two vaccines that will be approved here soon,” Sta. Romana said.
In the same recorded speech, Duterte expressed his trust and confidence in procuring COVID-19 vaccines from China.
“As I have said earlier in the days that followed the COVID contamination, sinabi ko na I expect China to come up first because I believe sa Chinese expertise and knowledge. At hindi ako nagkamali, mayroon na sila,” Duterte said.
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire announced in a virtual press briefing on December 7 that vaccine makers Clover Biopharmaceuticals from China and Europe-based Janssen of Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca, got the Ethics Review Board’s approval. This is a requirement needed before they can conduct clinical trials in the country.
On November 27, private sectors signed a deal with the government for 2.6 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine worth P700 Million.
With more than 440,000 total cases of COVID-19 as of December 9, the Philippines has the second highest number of infections in Southeast Asia, with Indonesia ranking first. #